What is Energy Audit?
An Energy Audit is the assessment of a process, building or equipment to assess the amount of energy utilized & exploring opportunities for energy saving without affecting the output or comfort. In Kenya, conducting energy audits help facilities that consume at least 15,000kWh per month to comply with the Energy Management Regulations_ 2012
Unisource Energy is licensed by Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) license number ERC/EAF/00035 to offer Energy Audits. Also, we offer audits on behalf of Kenya Association of Manufacturers (KAM)
Why Energy Audit
- Verifying whether the Amount of Energy Consumed corresponds to the bills charged by the Utility Company (KPLC)
- Establishing the Energy Index for your facility (Energy Consumed/unit production(occupancy)
- Identify any electrical leakages/losses
- Determining possible problems/malfunctioning, in order to avoid power peaks (demand charges) and other situations of energy waste
- Lower Electricity Bills. Through energy audits, you can drive your energy costs down drastically.
- Environmental Impact. When your facility consumes less energy, you are reducing your carbon footprint and helping to decrease unnecessary waste and pollution
Energy billing patterns are analyzed for relevant penalties or fixed rates. Amperage, voltage, power factor & KWh on motors are measured. We carry out thermographic analysis of the electrical cables, panels and motors to determine any instances of overheating. Actual running hours per batch or per hour out puts are observed. Illumination levels, refrigeration load & compressed air system are evaluated for house-keeping measures. Electrical energy balance is prepared with norms for each product. Based on the energy losses & percentage loading of rotating equipment, energy conservation measures are presented with techno economic analysis. The energy saving areas normally identified are : compression / illumination loads, derating of blowers / fans, control mechanism, application of motor controllers, sizing of pumps, tariffs and time-of-use benefits, and demand management amongst others..
We help in determining efficiencies of generation, distribution & Utilisation of thermal energies. Boiler efficiency tests are carried out to determine steam generation to fuel ratio. Steam traps are analyzed to determine their efficiencies. Condensates coming from coil, jackets, and evaporators are collected to arrive at norms for each operation. Exhausts of furnaces, boilers are quantified by analyzing them with our set of equipment. Fixed heating load, start up load & insulation losses are determined. Based on the energy losses identified in the thermal energy balance, energy conservation measures are presented with techno economic analysis. The energy saving areas normally identified are: Improvement in steam / power generation efficiency, house-keeping measures, waste heat recovery, optimal choice of fuel, process optimization etc. Time bound implementation programs are drawn with company manager